– As the BAFTAS have taken place over the weekend, Gravity emerged as top dog with six awards, American Hustle with three and The Great Gatsby and 12 Years A Slave with two. Gravity picked up gongs for director, sound, visual effects, cinematography, original music and outstanding British Film. The Great Gatsby was awarded for costume and production design, while American Hustle received the plaudits for hair & make-up, original screenplay and supporting actress (for Jennifer Lawrence). 12 Years A Slave picked up awards for best film and leading actor.
– Chris Pratt and Danny McBride are rumoured to be cast as the leads in a movie version of Knight Rider. It is thought Pratt would play Michael Knight (originally played by David Hasselhoff) while McBride would voice his erstwhile partner, K.I.T.T. The Weinstein Company have not confirmed anything as of yet.
– Edgar Wright will team up with composer Steve Price once again for Ant-Man. The composer worked on The World’s End with Wright, and also composed the soundtrack to Gravity for which he won a BAFTA.
– Warner Bros. have set a release date for Tarzan. The film, directed by David Yates will open on 1st July 2016 in 3D. Alexander Skarsgard, Margot Robbie, Samuel L Jackson and Christoph Waltz will star in the picture.
– Julianne Moore and Zach Galifianakis have joined the cast of Freeheld, which has already cast Ellen Page. Pete Sollett is set to direct the film which is yet to announce a release date.
– Will Smith looks set to be absent from the much anticipated sequel to Independence Day. His involvement has looked questionable for some time, despite After Earth flopping at the box office, but Deadline are reporting that he has finally told the studio he will not return as pilot Steve Hiller. It is thought Roland Emmerich had two scripts in circulation: one if Smith was on board, and one if he was not. Further details are yet to be announced.