– Will Smith’s latest film After Earth marks the actor’s worst box office opening for 20 years. On opening weekend the film managed $27 million where his previous summer blockbusters have charted $50 million plus, and included I, Robot, Hancock, Bad Boys II and Men In Black.
– Makers of The Human Centipede 3 have confirmed that high-profile actor Eric Roberts will join the cast for the third film. His recent work has included roles in The Dark Knight, and will see him join Bree Olson in the latest instalment of the controversy-ridden concept.
– The upcoming sequel to sci-fi classic Blade Runner has announced a new writer. Michael Green will step up to the plate and join Ridley Scott in making a worthy sequel. His previous writing credits include The Green Lantern and The Fantastic Four.
– Hollywood’s most popular composer Hans Zimmer has confirmed that he will be scoring Christopher Nolan’s new epic Interstellar. The veteran composer whose work includes Gladiator, Pirates of the Caribbean and Nolan’s other works The Dark Knight, has confirmed this in an interview for his latest musical offering in Man of Steel. Interstellar isn’t expected until November 2014.
– 20th Century Fox have hired husband and wife screenwriting duo Ken Marino and Erica Oyama to pen their latest comedy True Freshman. The film will be a campus comedy featuring a team of underdogs in their attempt to regain the school’s former athletic glory from days gone by.
– With Jackie Chan, Wesley Snipes and Steven Seagal all having been connected to The Expendables 3, Stallone has revealed in the latest slice of action-hero news that Nicolas Cage and Milla Jovovich are in ‘advanced negotiations’ with the studio according to The Wrap. If Jovovich were to join the crew she would be the first female action hero amongst the band of misfit, testosterone-fuelled action movie vets.
– Disney have announced the Pirates of the Caribbean 5 director’s chair has been filled by up-and-coming duo Joachim Rǿnning and Espen Sandberg. Jerry Bruckheimer and Johnny Depp are understood to have already signed-on for the project. Production is expected to begin at the end of the year once script rewrites have been completed.
– James Bobin, director of Flight of the Conchords is reportedly in meetings with Disney to work on Alice In Wonderland 2. Currently titled Through The Looking Glass, it is in the scriptwriting stage with original writer Linda Woolverton. Any involvement from Johnny Depp or the other Alice cast is yet to be announced.