– 300: Rise Of An Empire has been pushed back to 2014. The sequel to 300 was originally due for release in August, but is now delayed until March 2014. Warner has been unable to explain the delay, but it is understood their other project All You Need Is Kill featuring Tom Cruise has also been delayed. The 300 sequel will continue in the same time period as the first film and is based on Frank Miller’s graphic novel Xerxes.
– Despite Gus Van Sant’s recent bid to secure the director’s chair for Fifty Shades of Grey, it appears Joe Wright, director of Anna Karenina has become favourite to take on the raunchy story. With experience adapting classic romance fiction (he’s directed adaptations of works by Austen, Tolstoy and McEwan), Wright would appear to be the safest option for the studio.
– Robert Downey Jr. will team up once again with Iron Man director Jon Favreau for their new film Chef. Favreau has written the script for what he has described as a culinary ‘character-driven comedy’. The film charts the story of a chef who loses his job and must endeavour to get back on his feet and reunite with his estranged family.
– Disney Animation Studios have announced Big Hero 6, their first animated Marvel movie based on the comic of the same name. The film will open in the U.S. in November next year, with a U.K. date yet to be confirmed.
– Jurassic Park 4 has been put on indefinite hiatus. Details are few and far between, but crew-members have been tweeting about production coming to a halt. Universal Studios have attributed the delay down to ‘giving filmmakers adequate time to bring audiences the best possible version’ of the such-discussed sequel. No word on if and when production will continue has been given.
– Up-and coming actress Alicia Vikander is rumoured to have joined discussions to join Tom Cruise in espionage epic The Man From U.N.C.L.E. She is believed to be playing a spy with a thing for fast cars, but any involvement is yet to be confirmed officially. Guy Ritchie will direct after Ocean’s Eleven director Stephen Soderbergh passed on the project.
– A biopic of the life of footballing sensation Pelè is in development. Following on from the successes of Rush and J.Edgar, this biopic will cover his early upbringing and of-course, his legendary football career. Michael & Jeff Zimnbalist will write and direct.