Something fun yet informative to start with – here is a link to the website ‘Placing Literature’, which is an interactive map allowing you to see and add to, all your favourite literary locations:
– The recent merger of leading Publishing Houses in the UK has sparked some unexpected changes in the workforce. The Guardian has a great article detailing the losses (and gains) of the upheaval, and the particular consequences affecting women in the industry: http://bit.ly/1d7scEI
– This is a bit of older news now, but apparently Jane Austen is a leading favourite to become the new face of the British £10 note. Besides the Queen, there have only been 2 women on British sterling notes since they were introduced in the 1970s.
– Keira Knightley has signed on to star in the film adaptation of Suzanne Rindell’s debut novel The Other Typist (out this month). The novel charts events surrounding a young typist in 1920s New York as she becomes embroiled in the adventures of a stylish and seductive new female colleague in her office.
– American Christian publishing company Kingstone are set to create and release a 2000 page epic comic adaptation of the Bible (first four issues covering the Old Testament, and the remaining eight focusing on the New Testament).
– Speaking of comics and graphic novels, Neil Gaiman’s much loved Sandman is going to be getting a prequel series of six issues, the first of which will appear in October.
– In honour of the still upcoming Doctor Who 50th Anniversary, authors have been writing e-book short stories for the series since January 2013. Malorie Blackman, recently appointed Children’s Laureate, has penned the July story ‘The Ripple Effect’ based on the Seventh Doctor’s adventures.
– Flavorwire have created a superb little literary calendar to remind you of all the amazing events in literary history. Although not comprehensive, it is interesting to peruse. This week we can look forward to the anniversary of Hemingway meeting his Agnes, and the publication of To Kill A Mockingbird, among other things: http://bit.ly/10HI5PY