To celebrate the release of Matthew Weiner’s Are You Here, which stars Owen Wilson and Zach Galifianakis, we’ve gathered 17 facts about funny lady Amy Poehler who stars as as Zach G’s uptight and formidable sister.
1. Amy Poehler was born on September 16, 1971 in Newton, Massachusetts.
2. She attended Boston College.
3. She moved to Chicago and founded the ‘Upright Citizens Brigade’, a stand-up comedy group.
4. Amy met Tina Fey in an improvisation group called ‘Inside Vladimir’, named after an adult video they found.
5. On SNL she was promoted from featured player to full cast member midway through her first season, becoming the first woman and only the third person ever (after Harry Shearer and Eddie Murphy) to do so.
6. When Jimmy Fallon left the show in 2004, Poehler joined Tina Fey as a co-anchor of Weekend Update.
7. Poehler and comedian Will Arnett married in 2003. The couple worked together in the series Arrested Development, playing a couple that accidentally gets married, and again in the 2007 film Blades of Glory.
8. Poehler left Saturday Night Live in December 2008 but returned to television immediately on hit show Parks and Recreation.
9. Michelle Obama was a guest on her show Parks & Recreation.
10. She also launched a Web series called Smart Girls at the Party, featuring interviews with “Girls who are changing the world by being themselves.”
11. She has a two year contract to host the Golden Globes with Tina Fey.
12. She likes to treat herself with “fine leather goods”.
13. Her favourite comfort food is tortilla chips and salsa.
14. Her favourite movie is The Jerk.
15. Her favourite show is Judge Judy. Other favourites: The Wire, Broad City, Cheers, Law & Order, All in the Family.
16. Sticking on the subject of favourites, her fave condiment is Marie Rose Sauce.
17. She is a co-writer on Parks and Recreation and her own debut book Yes Please came out this year.
AMY’S TOP QUOTES
“I get a little itchy if I don’t have some control.”
“I just love bossy women. I could be around them all day. To me, bossy is not a pejorative term at all. It means somebody’s passionate and engaged and ambitious and doesn’t mind leading.”
“Try putting your iPhones down once in a while, and look in people’s faces. People’s faces will tell you amazing things. Like if they are angry, or nauseous or asleep.”
“There’s power in looking silly and not caring that you do.”
“Ovaries before brovaries.” Parks and Recreation
“We need to remember what’s important in life: friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn’t matter, but work is third.” Parks and Recreation
“I’ve gone on record that if I had to have a stripper’s name, it would be Equality.” Parks and Recreation
Are You Here is available to watch on demand and download to own now.